Saturday, April 18, 2009

The Reinvention of James Hewitt


This week I interviewed James Hewitt, former long term lover of Princess Diana. I have to admit I was preparing for the worst, but he was a complete surprise. Instead of arrogance, I found a charming, traditional English gentleman. Damn it, I hate being proved wrong He sat in his new, elegant restaurant/club the Polo House Marbella, sipping a Bloody Mary while entertaining us with stories from his days in the armed forces.



“ I just cannot stay away from this place,’ admitted Hewitt while gazing around his restaurant. “ I think the staff are going to start poisoning my drinks, just to get me to leave.”

During the interview he spoke about being a Household Calvary Officer. How many of you knew that during the first Gulf War he commanded 14 Challenger tanks as Operation Desert Storm liberated Kuwait? He also let slip about being drunk on ‘The Weakest Link,’ his experience on reality TV, turning down £70,000 to star on ‘I’m A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here’ and finally his thoughts on Diana. All this will be featured in the May edition of Spain magazine


Hewitt kindly invited us for lunch and I have to say it was the best I had tasted on the Coast. Expect London standards and five star service. I started with a light and refreshing crab mousse, which was followed by steak and chips, ( James’s recommendation, as I was opting for the fish.) The meat was cooked perfectly and the chips, well….delicious. The decider for a restaurant in my book has to be the dessert as I have an uncontrollable sweet tooth. I polished off half of David’s, (the photographer) superb Pear Tartin, which I would highly recommend, as well as my chocolate fondant and lavender ice cream. Yes, lavender ice cream does work.

James had gone for a relatively healthier selection. Considering he eats there most days, he is worried he is going to put on a lot of weight. Though he did naughtily pinch a few of my chips “ I am going to have to up my tennis sessions this year I think, if I am going to work all of this off,” he laughed. I had a taste of his fresh fruit salad which was accompanied by homemade mint ice cream. You just cannot beat homemade ice cream, can you? What also pleased me was witnessing Hewitt’s absolute joy as a table of eight was seated next to us. “ You see that?” he whispered. “ They are walk-ins and all Spanish. Look how they have dressed so smartly to come here. This is what I want, locals not tourists. I am thrilled.”

As for the décor, it has a colonial feel, yet successfully mixes contemporary with rustic. I particularly loved the Moroccan front doors with the quirky polo mallet handles. “ Thursday to Saturday, after dinner it will turn into a club,” he explains. “I wanted people to have everything they look for in a great night out all under one roof. Plus they won’t have to worry about driving to different venues and bumping into the Guardia Civil.”

Hewitt has moved to Marbella looking for a new start in life and I think the Polo House will give him just that.

Photography by David Toms - http://www.davidtomsphotography.com/

http://www.polohouse.net/ or call (0034) 952 900 380

1 comment:

conrad said...

Looking forward to trying out the food.